Re: [Netconf] Anyone want just Configured Subscriptions?

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Sun, 08 July 2018 08:37 UTC

Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 10:37:08 +0200
To: evoit=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org
Cc: kwatsen@juniper.net, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>

"Eric Voit \(evoit\)" <evoit=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
> > From: Kent Watsen, July 6, 2018 6:34 PM

[...]

> > > That is the way I initially had it.  Martin requested that these
> > > be made explicit during his review.
> >
> > I don't agree.  YP is just one of potentially many (I exaggerate)
> > layers on top of SN.

If you want to keep this error-app-tag string (I don't think it is
necessary, since the identity is also sent in within the
<error-info>), then I think the document needs to clearly specify
which identity to use for the different errors.

I agree with Kent that the reference to YANG push is not needed here,
and should be removed.  I do think the reference to SN is needed, and
I think the explicit list of rpcs and base identities help.

Kent, do you think that this list is somehow incorrect or misleading?

> What other layer are you expecting?

Who knows?  I agree w/ Kent; it is a matter of getting the design
right, even if we don't see more layers at the moment.

> > We need to ensure the language allows for
> > other layers to be defined in the future.  I imagine that there
> > should be nothing special about YP as far as the notif drafts go.
>
> This does not precludes additional layers for being placed.  If an implementation doesn't need an RPC, it can safely ignore the identity.
>
> In the end, when the WG requested that we inherit embedded NETCONF
> and RESTCONF error processing mechanisms, and this drove to the
> explicit mappings.

> > > This also was at Martin's request.  It is not non-standard as it
> > > simply describes the encoding of an error string.
> >
> > I see that error-app-tag is defined in RFC 6241 as a string, so
> > maybe there is a basis for this, but note that identities are
> > encoded differently for XML and JSON.  It seems like this draft
> > could declare that the value must conform to type "identity"
> > and then leverage existing encoding-specific rules.  What did
> > Martin say?
>
> Per:
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netconf/current/msg14345.html
>
>   "I think you should decide on one mechanism, and use it in both
>   drafts (specifically, the error-app-tag handling.  BTW, *if* you
>   decide to keep it, you need to clarify what "a string that
>   corresponds to" means.  Maybe use the JSON encoding of identities in
>   this case (<modname>:<identityname>))."
>
> This defined encoding works, and can be placed the same way into different types of error mechanisms.

Note my *if* above.  If we simply don't specify anything for the
error-app-tag, both these issues are solved.

/martin