Re: [Netconf] Anyone want just Configured Subscriptions?

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Tue, 10 July 2018 19:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 21:39:40 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: "Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com>
Cc: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>, Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, Netconf <netconf@ietf.org>
References: <CABCOCHSfzpj3Kca2RRtNFV6wLLt_6r4p3vfS_j4Hzfai-0Y2gA@mail.gmail.com> <20180708.095807.918450792556408986.mbj@tail-f.com> <20180708100310.gn3xaol66f7c7lo5@anna.jacobs.jacobs-university.de> <20180708.180552.1582913595227099806.mbj@tail-f.com> <CABCOCHQfirYPAVJwLELnqw0VJ=js7aFNX9wB7Xcs6Tkw06w1hw@mail.gmail.com> <9c3799f19cf84b22a3659c04a548ba67@XCH-RTP-013.cisco.com> <CABCOCHT=7-dPzTPYLvVN1J12uwGWh9GoA7r5nu=zYYD1nnFwTQ@mail.gmail.com> <273f987e3a224411a01a599afb42f25f@XCH-RTP-013.cisco.com>

[I can't read this email exchange anymore because the plain text
 format is a mess. So this may be a bit out of context.]

Lets not forget that RFC 8071 is pretty clear that after the call home
procedure the NETCONF / RESTCONF protocol starts (see steps C8 / S6).
And RFC 6241 is pretty clear that the NETCONF protocol starts with a
<hello> exchange. The <hello> exchange is a very useful negotiation
step.

So in short, after RFC 8071 call home, you get NC/RC client and server
starting with a <hello> exchange. Ideally, the client would indicate
its readiness to receive unsolicited notifications before you push
notifications to the client (and the notification sender may even be
interested to know that it is sending notifications to a remote system
that does not just drop them). So either the clients invokes an RPC to
start the notification flow or, if you want to optimize one round
trip, the client includes a special

  :willing-to-receive-unsolicited-notifications

capability in the <hello> exchange.

Note that possible protocol extensions like for example different
encodings will likely be negotiated via the hello exchange as
well. Hence, any attempts to optimize the <hello> exchange away may
cause you some trouble down the road.

/js

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>