Re: [NSIS] IPR Disclosure: The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-13

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Fri, 03 December 2010 22:49 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:50:33 -0600
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: Jukka Manner <jukka.manner@tkk.fi>, nsis <nsis@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [NSIS] IPR Disclosure: The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-13

I'm thinking about how much crap Cisco would get if we submarined a patent application for 4.5 years. We had an instance not so long ago where a lawyer got behind in his inbox (we had declared IPR on the individual submission but hadn't repeated it when it became a working group draft because Legal was buried), and we made the papers.

The disclosure states that this is free to use for open source uses while the protocol remains "experimental". If it moves to standards track, it follows standard FRAND policies. "FRAND" is of course an undefined term. It means that they will charge money; how much money and under what conditions is undefined; in the eyes of the entity charging the money, it will be fair and reasonable.

Frankly, making the IPR statement at this point in time is extortion. If I'm asked to comment in a court trial, my assessment would be that the IPR holder had years and years of opportunity to declare his IPR and didn't. Therefore, he appears to have intentionally held off stating his IPR until there was no other course of action reasonable for the working group than accept his claims, and as a result there is precedent for him to lose the right to assert the IPR.