Re: [NSIS] IPR Disclosure: The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-13

"Calvin Chu" <cc2962@columbia.edu> Fri, 10 December 2010 05:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:26:42 -0500
From: Calvin Chu <cc2962@columbia.edu>
To: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>, Jukka Manner <jukka.manner@tkk.fi>
Cc: nsis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [NSIS] IPR Disclosure: The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-13

All,

Is the Cisco style IPR disclosure the preferred format? The patent
reciprocity isn't a good fit for us (as a non-profit) but this spells
out a possible royalty as an option.

Based on various comments, I'm going to guess that no one here is
objecting to free experimental use, and free open-source use.

So one point of contention is Columbia's failure to submit this on time.
For this, I can offer my sincere apologies.  I was notified of this
unfortunately late in the game and it's outside of my ability to fix
this point.

The other point of contention is the FRAND terms in the situation it
becomes a protocol standard, and even then, only in the non-open source
case.

Is the issue: A) The fact that the fee is unknown B) The fact that there
is a fee at all or C) desire to see better conformance of disclosure
such as use of the Cisco style IPR disclosure

Regards,

Calvin Chu
Senior Licensing Officer
Columbia Technology Ventures