Re: [Sip] SIPit 20 survey summary

"Jeroen van Bemmel" <jbemmel@zonnet.nl> Sat, 28 April 2007 09:21 UTC

From: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, 'Robert Sparks' <rjsparks@estacado.net>, 'IETF SIP List' <sip@ietf.org>, sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu, discussion@sipforum.org
Subject: Re: [Sip] SIPit 20 survey summary
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:19:50 +0200

A point for discussion: I believe below is evidence that the complexity of
implementation may hinder deployment of emergency services, and may even be
a root cause of things breaking down at a critical moment. People's lives
may depend on a proxy interpreting location information properly

Especially for the use case of emergency calls, would it not be wise to
select a much more simple approach/syntax, e.g.:
Emergency-Location: lat=x; lon=y

So no XML, no mime/multipart, as simple as possible (no complex semantics,
usage-rules etc), something to reduce the barrier of
implementation/deployment, and to reduce the risk for interop issues?

Regards,
Jeroen