Re: [Sip] SIPit 20 survey summary

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Sun, 29 April 2007 14:57 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sip] SIPit 20 survey summary
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:56:24 -0400
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu, jh@tutpro.com, discussion@sipforum.org, rjsparks@estacado.net

I mis-spoke. I was actually thinking of a different solution, more
appropriate to the SIP header model. After all, for geo, two numbers
(long/lat) in WGS84 datum are all that matters in most circumstances,
on occasion augmented by a third (some 'measurement accuracy'
indication).

The XMPP XML model that Juha and you refer to isn't all that much
simpler than GEOPRIV civic or GML Point, just different, as you note.
(Whether supporting the multitude of geometric shapes in the pdif-lo
profile spec is truly required and where is another discussion which
belongs elsewhere.)

I don't know if by 'security' you refer to the embedded privacy
policies; in most cases, restrictive default values would do the
trick for those. Plus, for emergency calls, few PSAPs are going to
observe 'do not distribute' or 'do not retain' in any event, simply
because the law in many jurisdictions contradicts those desires.

Henning