RE: [Sip] Support for Multipart/MIME

"Francois Audet" <audet@nortel.com> Wed, 23 May 2007 18:18 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] Support for Multipart/MIME
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:17:41 -0500
From: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, "Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>

This is great Gonzallo. Thanks for doing this.

Here are some comments:

- In section 4, another example that I think you should list for
  Multipart/Mixed is RFC 3204 which actually has examples of
  INVITEs with Multipart/Mixed (one for SDP, the other for
  QSIG/ISUP tunnelling). That spec also illustrates the content-
  disposition mechanism (i.e., "optional" for QSIG/ISUP).

- I like your text on Multipart/Alternative. I'd like to include the
  following snippet of text from draft-jennings-sipping-multipart-02.txt
  in there:

   It is critical that multipart/alternative offers follow the semantics
   of multipart/alternative, notably the following text from RFC2046
   [2]:

       "THE SEMANTICS OF CONTENT-ID IN MULTIPART/ALTERNATIVE:  Each
        part of a "multipart/alternative" entity represents the same
        data, but the mappings between the two are not necessarily
        without information loss.  For example, information is lost
        when translating ODA to PostScript or plain text.  It is
        recommended that each part should have a different Content-ID
        value in the case where the information content of the two
        parts is not identical."

  I'd also like to see an example of Multipart/Alternative for the
  MESSAGE message (with text/plain and text/html for example).

- I believe that the following text in section 4 is not strong enough:

   If a UAS does not support multipart bodies and receives one, the UAS
   SHOULD return a 415 (Unsupported Media Type) response.

  Instead, it should read as follows:

   If a UAS does not support multipart bodies and receives one, the UAS
   MUST return a 415 (Unsupported Media Type) response, and it MUST
   return a list of acceptable formats as specificed in
[RFC3261]/21.4.13.

  I believe this is in line with RFC 3261/8.2.3. I will point out that
  we have found in the field that if a UAS does NOT send a 415 and just
  "ignores" the Multipart body altogether, what happens is that the
receiver of the
  INVITE interprets the INVITE as having NO initial Offer, and sends an
an
  Offer of it's own in the 200/18X. This is interpreted by the sender of
the
  INVITE as an Answer, resulting in all hell breaking loose.