Re: [112attendees] HotRFC Gather followup

Lixia Zhang <lixia@cs.ucla.edu> Sat, 06 November 2021 16:24 UTC

From: Lixia Zhang <lixia@cs.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 09:24:49 -0700
Cc: "112attendees@ietf.org" <112attendees@ietf.org>, Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>, Liz Flynn <lflynn@amsl.com>
To: Aaron Falk <aaron.falk@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [112attendees] HotRFC Gather followup

> On Nov 3, 2021, at 10:18 AM, Alexander Clemm <alex@futurewei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Aaron,
> FWIW, here are my thoughts re:  your questions:
> I like Gather and we should do this again – the format has potential but I think we need to make some tweaks.   One observation is that I thought the turnout was a little bit disappointing – whether this was a function of Gather or a function of this session to be in an unusual time slot (in the week before the “main” IETF) is not obvious to me.

just as one data sample: I missed it because of the timing.
I removed time conflict (as much as possible) for IETF week but not this past week; did not even realize that HotRFC was in this week.

> The video presentation within Gather should be replaced by a link to the video which can be watched outside Gather; the way it is set up does not make this very interactive (people needing to watch a video undisturbed while in an “interactive” setting).  As a consideration, it might be good to model this after a virtual “poster session” in a conference and allow then instead for the posting of a poster – displayed in lieu of the Whiteboard – and then have conversations center around what people can see on the poster.  It might be also a worthwhile a consideration to bring back “teaser” lightning talks in a special session that is held in addition (e.g. right before) and complements the Gather rooms.

my 2 cents for the above and a few more comments that followed:

i) call me being too conservative: offering (multiple) video streaming with good quality does not seem an easy task that any party can just grasp over night (my low confidence Gather could fix quickly)

ii) regarding organizing conversations around topics and keeping the conversation available and ongoing after the events: academic conferences (the few I know) have adopted Slack, which offers features of structured conversations by topics, supporting inclusion of URLs/pdf files, and a number of other stuff. We used it last week for annual NDN Community Meeting, worked out really well -- lots questions/comments on Slack while presentations ongoing, session chairs raised the questions from Slack if (mostly likely) presenters couldn't read while presenting (and of course discussions can continue for however long people keep posting).

Lixia