Re: [antitrust-policy] how does that affect those with no competitive interests?

<david.black@emc.com> Sun, 22 January 2012 22:11 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: johnl@taugh.com, antitrust-policy@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:10:50 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-mimectl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V8.3.105.0
Subject: Re: [antitrust-policy] how does that affect those with no competitive interests?

> Antitrust and competition law are about actions in which companies
> that would normally be competing don't.  I listed the usual ones in my
> revised strawman, price fixing, bid rigging, refusal to deal, tying,
> and market allocations.

That looked like a reasonable strawman (another version of "Don't be
bold"), and I'm not sure how much I care about whether we call the
result a policy, guidelines or an FAQ ... however ...

> If you aren't an organization that could plausibly do those things,
> you needn't worry about it.

Not exactly. Hypothetically, if an anti-trust suit were filed over a
decision made in an IETF WG meeting, everyone in that meeting could
find the legal system intruding into their professional lives.

> If I worked for Oracle, I would be
> careful about discussing prices of databases (or workstations or
> whatever else Oracle sells these days.)  If I worked for a university
> that sells none of those things, theres no competition for me to
> restrain.

Hypothetical opposing counsel may have a second opinion on that topic ;-).

There is a potential conspiracy that hypothetical opposing counsel

could accuse everyone in the meeting of participating in, and that may
be enough to make your life quite "interesting".  Absence of an obvious
financial interest in the outcome may not suffice to quickly convince
opposing counsel to leave you alone.

Thanks,
--David