Re: [antitrust-policy] An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Sun, 15 January 2012 23:01 UTC

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:00:10 -0800
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Jorge Contreras <cntreras@gmail.com>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Cc: antitrust-policy@ietf.org, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Subject: Re: [antitrust-policy] An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

Hi Jorge,

I'm one of those not having any trouble with ex ante disclosures of
licensing terms, as a uni-lateral statement of a right holder of the
monetary terms it expects to get from licensing essential claims.  However,
Joel wrote about "negotiating licensing terms", which, I believe, most or
all SDOs (even those specifically allowing ex ante disclosures) have
explicitly prohibited in their policies.  Let me quote from ETSI's antitrust
policy
http://www.etsi.org/WebSite/document/Legal/ETSI_Guidelines_for_Antitrust_Com
pliance.pdf  (which, IMO and at present, is the most well developed
antitrust policy of any major SDO):
1. C.4.2  Voluntary, unilateral, public, ex ante disclosures of licensing
terms by licensors of essential IPRs, for the sole purpose of assisting
members in making informed (unilateral and independent) decisions in
relation to whether solutions best meet the technical objectives, are not
prohibited under ETSI Directives. It is therefore not prohibited for members
of an ETSI Technical Body to inform the Technical Body of the availability
of such licensing terms in compliance with Section 4.1 of the ETSI Guide on
IPRs. Where any such disclosures are made, any discussion and/or negotiation
of any licensing terms, including any price term, shall not be conducted in
ETSI.

Or
> D.2 Please do not:
> 1.
> 2. D.2.1  Engage in activities intended to restrain competition or harm
> consumers.
> 3.
> 4. D.2.2  Attempt to set or control price or terms of product, service or
> license fees in the course of any ETSI activity.
> 5.
> 6. D.2.3  Discuss any disclosure of licensing price or terms, product or
> service price or terms, pricing methods, profits, profit margins, cost data,
> production plans, market share or territories in the course of any ETSI
> activity.

Emphasis by me.

Best regards,
Stephan