[dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)

Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> Tue, 26 October 2010 07:29 UTC

From: Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: [dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 07:25:59 +0000
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:16:45 +0200
> From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
>
> > the internet economy recognizes first-mover advantage more often than
> > not, and the ISP's and ASP's who do "web error redirection" today are
> > not going to stop no matter what anybody says.
>
> If you believe that ISPs and ASPs are bad guys that will do DNS lies
> whatever the IETF says, ...

i do not believe they are bad guys.

> ... then, what makes you think they will honor the DMNF bit? (Specially
> since it is a new option so they will have to actually act, develop
> stuff, etc, to honor it.)

because it's free PR for them and won't affect their revenues at all.  most
end users really don't care, and some end users really do like web error
redirection.  opendns could not succeed if everybody hated this stuff.  but
even though google doesn't do it and google has a more-recognizable IP addr
for its resolvers, opendns continues to thrive.  there's no pent up wave of
consumer hate for "web error redirection".  i thought there would be.  now
i just want there to be a standardzed in-band opt out mechanism.  i expect
that comcast and opendns, at least, will honour it.  various coffee shops
will not.  but if properly expressed, this signalling could enable google to
offer this as a service for those whose packets do explicitly request it.
(that is, google's default will probably remain "no", but if DMNF is present
and NWED=0 then they might treat this as an honest revenue opportunity.)