Re: [dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)

"Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> Tue, 26 October 2010 20:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:04:27 -0500
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: IETF DNSEXT WG <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Andreas and all,

-----Original Message-----

  Well this would be goodness for the browser vendor/developer as you state
it.  Also though it would be an opertunity for the ISP and the browser
vendor/developer to cooperate and have cross revinue sharing agreements
so that both can benifit, or conversly if the user option is to turn
doing DNS rewriting, than neither would benifit and the user would have
the option not the browser vendor or the IxP.

>Second, browser vendors are in a position to defend against unwanted
>DNS rewrites, by making the browsers bypass the system resolver and
>directly query a recursive DNS server operated by the vendor or a
>third party.  If enough browsers did this, NXDOMAIN rewriting in the
>DNS would not longer be profitable.

  This would be a good outcome IMO for some users.

>Third, browser vendors could help raise awareness and exert pressure.
>Imagine browsers detecting rewrites and displaying alerts along these
>lines:
>
>    [Insert browser name here] has detected that your computer is
>    using a DNS server that tampers with the results of DNS lookups.
>    Most likely, this is an attempt by your Internet Service Provider
>    to replace the error message that would normally be displayed
>    when you enter an incorrect URL with a pages containing paid
>    advertisements.

  I love this alert message.  >:)

>    [Browser vendor] considers this practice harmful, not only because
>    it alters your web browsing experience, but also because it can
>    interfere with the operation of other Internet applications on
>    your computer and other Internet-enabled devices on your network.

  This one might be ok in some instances, not in others...

>    [Browser] has automatically switched to a third-party DNS service
>    operated by [company], but your other applications and devices are
>    still affected.  If your Internet Service Provider allows you to
>    opt out of DNS rewriting, we recommend that you do so.  Alternatively,
>    you can change your DNS settings to use a third-party DNS provider
>    by following the instructions at [this link].

  This alert message would be acceptable as well in some instances, but
should be set by the user, not the IxP or third party DNS provider.

>--
>Andreas Gustafsson, gson@araneus.fi

Regards,
Jeffrey A. Williams