Re: [dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)

"Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> Tue, 26 October 2010 19:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:47:07 -0500
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: namedroppers WG <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

nick and all,

-----Original Message-----

  I was and remain more concerned about section 8.2 see:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-livingood-dns-redirect-03#section-8.2
which suggests without defining that "the valid A record
   contained valid, lawful, non-malicious content, and there would
   otherwise appear to be no valid justification for a redirect to
   occur."
What is 'Valid and non-malicious content' in such a
   context?  Would some content in say the WSJ.com's web pages be
'malicious' or perhaps playboy.com's web pages?  Some would answer yes
other would answer no, but who decides, the service provider by virtue
of their omnipitant wisdoms use of DMNF, the user or perhaps the Apps
browser/developer/provider in their own near omnipitant wisdom? My answer is
the user at the browser level where such security settings options belong.
Seems very recently though that some browser developers are also not wanting
allow for this either, see Google:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/google-sued-for-violating-the-privacy-rights-of-millions-of-americans-105719403.html
and Firefox:
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=10042

>And I've argued repeatedly that the DNSSEC validation for "normal" records (A, AAAA, MX, etc) should be on the client as follows:
>
>IF the chain validates, accept the record from the cache.

Agreed.

>If, for any reason (no sig, broken sig, no root, whatever) the validation fails, do an independent fetch bypassing the recursive resolver.

Also agreed here.

>And this policy eliminates the problem of the lying recursive resolver, AND creates an incentive for people to deploy DNSSEC without the penalties of deploying DNSSEC incorrectly.

spot on IMO.

Regards,
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln