Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-vixie-dns-rpz-04.txt

"John Levine" <johnl@taugh.com> Wed, 21 December 2016 22:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:54:40 -0000
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-vixie-dns-rpz-04.txt

>I hereby, with full knowledge and prior consent, *refuse* that my ISP
>(or the hotel where I stay) modify DNS responses.

I gather you live in France, where the government can and occasionally
does require ISPs to change DNS responses so that requests for domains
that a court considers illegal in various ways get the address of an
interior ministry server instead.  They did not need RPZ to do this,
and they do not ask your permission when they do so.  I'm certainly
not saying it's a good idea, but it is the law in France, and there
are similar laws in the UK and other countries that ISPs have to
follow.

To me, it is utter self-indulgence to imagine that it will make any
difference whatsoever to government censorship if we do or do not
publish RPZ documents.  On the other hand, as many people with
operational experience have confirmed, RPZ is an extremely useful tool
to keep Internet users from being attacked by malware.  It seems clear
to me that if we can help providers deploy anti-malware RPZ zones, by
enabling interoperable implementations, that will prevent a lot of
evil directed at our users.

It might be helpful to explain what people consider a reasoanble
tradeoff between censorship concerns and consumer protection concerns,
and how likely it is that RPZ publication or standardization would
have any practical effect in the two areas.

R's,
John