[DNSOP] [internet-drafts@ietf.org: I-D Action: draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt]

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> Sun, 01 December 2013 16:53 UTC

Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:48:41 +0100
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] [internet-drafts@ietf.org: I-D Action: draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt]

This draft have originally been copied to the perpass mailing list
(not a working group). As far as I know,
draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names is the first attempt to
actually use RFC 6761 and exercice its procedures. It sees RFC 6761
(section 4) is not crystal-clear about the discussion to have before a
registration. RFC 5226, section 4.1 says "Before approving a request,
the community should be consulted, via a "call for comments" that
provides as much information as is reasonably possible about the
request." so I think a good idea to have dnsop read and discuss about
it.

For the record, I've reviewed
draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00, I find it well-written
and clear and I fully support it. Registering these names would be a
very good idea.
--- Begin Message ---

	Title           : Intended status: (IESG Approval) Expires: May 17th, 2014
	Author(s)       : Christian Grothoff
                          Matthias Wachs
                          Hellekin O. Wolf
                          Jacob Appelbaum
	Filename        : draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-11-14

Abstract:
   Today, the Domain Name System (DNS) is a key service for the
   Internet.  DNS is primarily used to map human-memorable names to IP
   addresses, which are used for routing but generally not meaningful
   for humans.  However, the hierarchical nature of DNS makes it
   unsuitable for various Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Name Systems.  As
   compatibility with applications using DNS names is desired, these
   overlay networks often define alternative pseudo Top-Level Domains
   (pTLDs) to integrate names from the P2P domain into the DNS
   hierarchy.

   This memo describes common Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761]
   pseudo Top-Level DNS Names designed to help harden name resolution
   security (e.g., [RFC6840][RFC6975]), provide censorship resistance,
   and protect the users' privacy on the Internet.

   In this IESG Approval document we are asking for domain name
   reservations for five Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761] TLDs:
   ".gnu", ".zkey", ".onion", ".exit", and ".i2p".

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/