Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Sat, 18 October 2008 22:01 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Randall Gellens' <randy@qualcomm.com>, "'Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)'" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, 'ext Marc Linsner' <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 18:02:18 -0400
Cc: 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

You can get voicemail from call forwarding, network congestion, etc, in
addition to making a call.  UI can't fix that.  Interestingly, I don't
recall ever reading anywhere else about the feature you described.  I wonder
if in fact it is implemented widely.

There isn't anything magic about cellular networks AFAIK; what makes you
believe that cellular networks should be treated differently for emergency
calls?

I'd bet that the outcome where CPH is employed is quite a bit higher than
those where the caller can hang up.  People under stress do stupid things
quite often.  Call takers tend to have better judgment on when a call should
be taken down.  YMMV

I agree that the mechanism must fail safe.

Brian