Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Sat, 08 November 2008 21:28 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:28:00 -0500
Cc: 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

I think there's a subtle difference between "accidental" and
"premature" call termination. The former is easy to define: the caller
accidentally disconnected, either because of hitting the wrong button
or some technical problem, and would have preferred to stay on line.
The second is harder to define, since both sides may have a different
opinion as to whether the disconnect is "premature". Accidental
disconnects are also premature, but not the other way around. The
difference is the set where the PSAP wants to continue to talk, but
the caller doesn't.

We can prevent accidental disconnects largely with UI features, such
as requiring user confirmation for hanging up.

I think we can also prevent most legitimate premature terminations of
the "caller doesn't realize the call taker wants to continue to talk,
but has no objection" with appropriate UI design. A simple modal
dialogue with

"Please wait until the emergency call taker disconnects. Do you really
want to terminate the call now?"

before sending the BYE will presumably deal with most cases.

The correct behavior depends a bit on the device. For example, an
iPhone has different possibilities than a traditional place-receiver-
on-hook phone (although that type of phone could conceivably switch to
speakerphone mode until the user confirms the disconnect, with some
kind of alerting to prevent eavesdropping).

None of this requires more than recognizing that this is an emergency
call. This is tricky for two cases: proxy-recognized calls and return
calls.

Henning