Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Wed, 08 October 2008 14:03 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:03:29 -0400
Cc: 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

No requirement stands on its own. Particularly in this case, proposed
solutions have had severe side effects that may well outweigh whatever
call handling functionality is gained. Thus, we need to look at the
whole picture, not just one requirement. For example, any such
mechanism must not brick a caller's phone, must not create the ability
to eavesdrop on users and must not increase security vulnerabilities.
It may also help to have a less-mechanism-focused requirement. Since
the user has placed the receiver on hook (on a traditional phone, at
least), from a user perspective, this is no different than being
called back, unless you indeed make the phone non-operable.

In the end, the user also has a right to be left alone. If the caller
no longer wants to talk to the PSAP, forcing him to do that seems
inappropriate and may well be against the law (or at least should be,
in a society that calls itself free). We want to prevent accidental
disconnects, but the PSAP has no right to take over the user's phone,
listen to the user's environment without permission or perform other
intrusive acts. Unfortunately, the current requirement document does
not reflect any of these concerns.

Henning