Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Wed, 08 October 2008 22:12 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Ted Hardie' <hardie@qualcomm.com>, "'DRAGE, Keith (Keith)'" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, 'Marc Linsner' <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:13:25 -0400
Cc: 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

Ted

Lots of systems get used even when they don't meet the user's requirements.
That's what happened.  I don't mean to imply that the whole thing won't work
without this feature.  On the other hand, as you know, sometimes
implementers ignore requirements for financial or other reasons.  I don't
think that applies here in ecrit, but it may.  I just don't see how you take
a situation where carriers flat out refused to meet the requirement as
justification for not considering the requirement, or negating its
importance.  The 9-1-1 system "worked" without any location.  When wireless
first started, it didn't provide ANY location at all.  Are you suggesting
that the location reporting requirement be dropped because millions of 9-1-1
calls were completed without it?

Then, I think you drop immediately into mechanism issues.  You, for example,
get worried about some new negotiation phase.  No one has suggested that.
The proposals that are at the front of the table use the existing
Supported/Required option negotiation mechanism.  The UA indicates that it
can support the option in Supported.  The PSAP indicates that it can
implement the option, and desires to employ it on the specific call, by
including it in Required.  If the UA sees it in Required, and it sent it in
Supported, it enables the function.  If it doesn't understand it, or doesn't
see it in Required, it's not enabled.  In some folk's preferred
implementation, you use the existing Hold signaling (SDP sendrecv=inactive)
to indicate "hook state", and rather than sending BYE from the UA.  The PSAP
terminates the call.  The UA can terminate if it doesn't complete the
ReINVITE that signals a hook state change.  I think that avoids the "brick"
problem.  There is NO added latency.  It doesn't use any resources that
weren't already allocated for the call.  You do something similar with
CANCEL.

Brian (who is still listening)