Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Tue, 07 October 2008 06:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:34:53 +0300
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: ext Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] IETF ECRIT Design Team on Premature Call Termination
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Ted,

>>* At the same time we create a design team in ECRIT to work on
>>"Premature Call Termination".
>
>This seems to me to presume a fundamental requirement and to
>define the terms in a way that isn't appropriate.
>Can we define the deliverables, to clear this up?  For
>example, could the design team reasonably determine that call
>termination in SIP-based systems was fundamentally different
>from the wireline and that wireline models of what "premature"
>meant did not apply?  Or does this presume the Canadian
>requirements as a new, global requirement?  Or does this
>include some negotiation phase requirement that didn't exist before?

We obviously have to discuss terminology, if that's your concern.

>>Depending on the progress of the design team we are able to
>incorporate
>>the results of it into the document (even at a fairly late
>stage of the
>>document process). If the design team does not produce results then
>>anything that comes out of it can be seen as an extension to
>the Phone
>>BCP document.
>
>Any design team document that does not go through the full
>IETF process can expect an appeal.  This isn't the role of
>design teams--they make proposals to a working group, which
>then has every opportunity to review them as it would any other input.
>The same is true for IETF Last Call review.  Assuming that the
>results of this can be incorporated into a document that has
>already passed IESG review without updating that document and
>going through the process is just not how things work.

I know the process. Don't worry.

>>We need members for the design team! We have already received the
>>commitment of folks from NENA but we also need some guys from
>the ECRIT
>>group. Who is interested in participating?
>
>Sorry, maybe I have misunderstood this totally.  How do you
>have volunteers from NENA for an IETF document without having
>announced the need before today?  Are you planning this as a
>design team to help NENA define a requirement in its own
>documents?  Or is this meant to produce an IETF document?  If
>a NENA document, my discussion of design teams is off-base,
>and I apologize, but it would be useful to identify the target here.
>			thanks,
>				Ted
I thought it would be sensible to involve folks from NENA since the
issue came up there.
I want to make sure that key players from both groups are present. This
is important to make some progress.

Does my response help?

Ciao
Hannes