Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

"william(at)elan.net" <william@elan.net> Fri, 09 December 2005 18:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:18:54 -0800
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william@elan.net>
To: spf-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Dick St.Peters wrote:

>> Do you know if Sendmail Inc. is committed to conforming to the RFCs
>> and will change if the RFCs change?
>
> You'll have to ask them.  However, I suspect it's safe to say that
> they will conform to any RFCs that become standards.

SPF & SID document if they become RFCs will not be "standard" - just
documented IETF "experiment".

But as you say Sendmail tries to be compliant with any RFC that is an
email standard and this is a problem if they want to implement SID.

> That said, I will be interested in seeing how they handle the
> "Resent-" header issue.  Currently, it is difficult, if not
> impossible, to make sendmail insert such a header when forwarding (as
> opposed to re-mailing).

One thing the IESG note [due to my appeal] forgot to mention is that
its impossible for implementation to both be compliant with standards
and be doing SID checking (because interpretation of Resent- header
fields in automatic manner is already violation of a standard). The same
applies to adding Resent- header fields as per SID - if system is doing
it, this is violation of standards, if it is not doing it, it can not
claim to be compliant with SID.

So the conflict remains unresolved and it is not just that SID systems
will have problems with other systems that are complying with standards
(that is certainly true and would lead to unpredictable results as per
IESG note) but that using SID itself already implies that implementor
would be violating the standard - I still don't understand how IETF/IESG
can support publication of such a document for anything but the
INFORMATIONAL use.

The correct thing to do to avoid the conflict (and still use similar
algorithm) is to choose new header field name and register it with IANA.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks