Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPRrules)

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Fri, 27 November 2009 12:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:55:12 +0000
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: John-Luc Bakker <jbakker@rim.com>
Subject: Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPRrules)
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, IETF-Discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

John-Luc Bakker wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>With regard to the recent discussion regarding RIM's recent IPR
>disclosures, I understand the community's concerns regarding the
>timeliness of the disclosure.  As employees of companies we are bound by
>confidentiality obligations and, in addition, cannot always control our
>company's internal processes.  The community's concerns have been
>brought to the attention of my employer and they are in the process of
>evaluating the concerns.  My company has asked for your patience while
>they take the time to evaluate the concerns and determine if there is an
>appropriate course of action in this matter to alleviate the concerns of
>the community.
>
>Your understanding is appreciated.

John-Luc, I would like to understand if RIM's recent IPR disclosures
affect general use of application/3gpp-ims+xml, or only its specific use
as described in draft-bakker-sipping-3gpp-ims-xml-body-handling.

Thank you,
Alexey

P.S. I understand that my question might be naive or stupid, but I have
no doubts people will tell me if it is.