Re: Possible BofF question -- I18n (was: Re: Possible OBF question -- I18n)

"Patrik Fältström " <paf@frobbit.se> Sat, 02 June 2018 10:51 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Cc: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, art-ads@ietf.org, IETF general list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Possible BofF question -- I18n (was: Re: Possible OBF question -- I18n)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 12:51:47 +0200

On 2 Jun 2018, at 2:09, Nico Williams wrote:

> Can you boil things down to a small set of bullet items?
>
>  - IDNs and confusables?
>
>  - I18N and human rights?
>
>    (what's that got to do with Internet protocols?  sure we have to make
>    sure they internationalize, but we already knew that long before
>    anyone made the connection to human rights)
>
>  - something else?  what?
>
> Please also list any high-profile failures of the IETF in this space.
>
> Keep it brief out of consideration for your readers' time.

Just the situation with definition of IDNA and difference between theory and practice there is enough. And the problem with having registrars actually implement IDNA2008 as explained for example by SSAC.

Now, the BOF is not on these issues but instead on why IETF is unsuccessful on addressing I18N issues and the RFC presented by Niels with issues John point out is a 2nd example.

That a summary is requested and needed is for me an example not even people being interested enough in a BOF on the issue might not be aware of the issues existing, which is sad by itself, but, of course "to get up to speed" a certain education is needed.

But I want to before I spend tons of time here see the BoF and a plan on how to move forward.

   Patrik