Re: [OAUTH-WG] Basic signature support in the core specification

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Fri, 24 September 2010 10:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:26:06 +0200
From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Basic signature support in the core specification

  +1 for basic signature support

there is a need to protect end-users from token abuse by rogue resource
servers (see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-10#section-5, paragraph
3). Signatures based on a token secret is one way to prevent this kind
of attack.

Signature mechanisms aiming for other purposes (e.g. client
authentication) should be defined as extensions in my opinion.

 >I think draft –05 went too far in terms of additional parameters for
requesting tokens with secrets. Since the core spec lacks any form of
discovery, I think servers should simply issue whatever token >they deem
appropriate to the client (bearer, with secret, etc.). Other extensions
can define parameters to allow the client to ask, and the server to
advertise whaich schemes are supported.

 >My approach is for the server to issue a token with two additional
parameters: signature algorithm and secret. Based on that, the client
will send requests with a few additional parameters (nonce, >timestamp,
signature – maybe combined into one).

+1

This is simple but sufficient. The authz server and resource server have
a strong coupling anyway so the authz server should know what the
resource server expects. Does this also mean the client MUST send signed
requests if the authz server issued a token secret?

regards,
Torsten.