[secdir] draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying-05

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Sat, 19 December 2009 02:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:23:14 -0500
To: secdir@ietf.org
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Subject: [secdir] draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying-05

This is the message I sent to the WG chairs  o 11/30, in response to
this special request.

Steve
------

Folks,

As per your request I reviewed the subject document.

It has a LOT of problems:

	- the authors are inconsistent in their use of terms in
various places in the document (e.g., trust zone, trust domain, trust
group)

	- the authors do not clearly define what they mean by static,
manual, or  dynamic keying. they then make general assertions about
the costs of various keying methods without providing any analysis to
support their assertions.

	- the authors are clearly big proponents of group keying, and
so they sweep under the rug all the details of what one has to do to
authenticate group members to a group key server and what the server
needs to do to distribute keys to the group members. there may be
good arguments for why group keying is preferable to alternatives,
but this document does not make that case

	- the authors assert that tunnel mode ESP is unsuitable for
use with RSVP due to a MITM vulnerability, but the argument they
present is flawed.

	- the authors assert that using the group keying mechanisms
in RFC 3547 solves the problems of using IPsec with RSVP, which
contradicts statements elsewhere about problems with IPsec protocols
and RSVP.

	- the authors argue that Section 3.1 of RFC 5374 describes
how to use tunnel mode in a way that fixes problems otherwise present
with AH or ESP, but the argument is suspect. The cited section talks
about a new version of tunnel mode for use by secruity gateways when
sending traffic on multicast SAs, but there is not reason why routers
using RSVP should be viewed as secruity gateways with respect to RSVP
traffic.

	- overall, the document is very poorly organized. it rambles
and makes arguments in one section that appear to contradict analyses
in other sections.

I have attached an edited version of the document with suggested
edits and lots of comments.

Steve