Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS

Ralf Weber <denic@eng.colt.net> Fri, 08 August 2008 07:48 UTC

From: Ralf Weber <denic@eng.colt.net>
To: Duane at e164 dot org <duane@e164.org>, bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>, Namedroppers <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:43:42 +0200
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Moin!

On Aug 8, 2008, at 09:24 , Duane at e164 dot org wrote:

> Ralf Weber wrote:
>
>> The reason it changed is that we, or to be more precise a customer
>> was
>> hit by cache poisoning, and I had show up at there board and
>> explain it
>> to them.
>
> Thanks for proving my point, people won't do anything until something
> happens to them personally.
Well this might happen more often now when the hackers do code that
utilises Dan Kaminskys findings. And it just need to happen to the
"right" people, as we see with IPv6 now that which is at least getting
some traction after governments endorsed it.

>> Is there a technology that can prove that the answer I am getting
>> from my DNS resolver is correct?
>
> Don't use someone else's resolver for starters,
Hmm shall I stop offering resolving service to our customers, so that
they can have their own ;-).

> then reduce the TTL to
> almost nothing and the chance of being effected is greatly reduced, of
> course DNSSEC won't solve this problem without critical mass either so
> even if you deploy or utilise DNSSEC you could still be effected by
> cache poisoning.
True, but if A and B agree on using it they can at least secure the
resolving of A and Bs domains, and if C, D and E join them when a TLD
operator offers DNSSEC domains they will be also secured. So it will
get better the more people do it, and the of non DNSSEC servers to
speak to DNSSEC servers is at least defined (unless IPv6).

So long
-Ralf
---
Ralf Weber
Platform Infrastructure Manager
Colt Telecom GmbH
Herriotstrasse 4
60528 Frankfurt
Germany
DDI: +49 (0)69 56606 2780 Internal OneDial: 8 491 2780
Fax: +49 (0)69 56606 6280
Email: Ralf.Weber@colt.net
http://www.colt.net/

Data | Voice | Managed Services

COLT Telecom GmbH, Herriotstraße 4, 60528 Frankfurt/Main, Deutschland *
Tel +49 (0)69 56606 0 * Fax +49 (0)69 56606 2222 *
Geschäftsführer: Albertus Marinus Oosterom (Vors.), Rita Thies *
Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main HRB 53898 * USt.-IdNr. DE 220 772 475