Re: Please stop this thread (was: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS)

David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org> Sat, 09 August 2008 01:14 UTC

Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
To: Matt Larson <mlarson@verisign.com>
Subject: Re: Please stop this thread (was: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:07:51 -0700
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Matt,

> Your message prompted me to re-read Bert's original "group-think"
> message and I find nothing inappropriate about it.  It was certainly
> not "perilously close to the line of _ad hominem_ attack", nor was it
> an attack at all.  I'd argue it was even on-topic, in that it
> questions if we're all doing the best engineering we can.

There is a difference between questioning whether we're doing the best
that we can and implicitly accusing some number of us of intellectual
laziness (at best) or actual dishonesty (at worst).

As you may be aware, I am no fan of DNSSEC (to put it mildly) and have
actively argued caution on spending resources on deploying DNSSEC in
numerous venues because I felt the cost outweighed the benefits it
would bring towards ameliorating the risks inherent in the DNS and
felt those resources would be better applied to things like routing
security.  I have since changed my mind.  The cost of deploying DNSSEC
is high, however the risk is greater than I originally estimated,
hence I believe the benefit is worth the cost.  I still feel
significant work needs to be done to DNSSEC to make it an effective
defense, but it is clear to me that it is the right direction to go
and we should go that direction sooner rather than later.

Others may feel differently.  However, I would not label those
individuals nor would I accuse them of engaging in some deprecatory
psychobabble buzzword of the day.  Such labeling and accusations
needlessly polarize discussions, which I feel does not contribute
towards forward motion.

But maybe that's just me.

> A hop-by-hop solution of adding more entropy would
> go a long way to addressing this attack.

This particular instantiation of the attack, maybe (how do you protect
against on-the-datapath spoofing with hop-by-hop entropy addition?).
However, again, it is treating the symptoms, not the disease.  How
many times does the DNS community have to be bitten by the same
fundamental bug before we finally squash that bug?  Do you or Bert or
any of his <aol>Me too!</aol> supporters think the problem is going to
get better over time with computers (and hence zombies) and networks
constantly getting better/faster/more numerous?

> The lack of will I have
> perceived recently in this working group to pursue non-DNSSEC
> solutions frustrates me.

I'm sorry, what lack of will are you talking about?  I seem to recall
a number of drafts being proposed and discussed that are not DNSSEC-
related.  Forgery-resilience and dns-0x20 are two examples.  I have
seen numerous people ask for solutions other than DNSSEC that address
the fundamental weakness in the DNS. I myself would love to see an
alternative to the bloated pig of a protocol, yet most of what I have
seen appears to add even more fragility than DNSSEC and/or doesn't
address the fundamental problem.

> So I join Bert in asking everyone to keep an open mind, think
>>
> critically and keep engineering.

Suggestions of keeping an open mind and thinking critically should
also be applied to those who do not want to implement DNSSEC (for
whatever reason).

Regards,
-drc