Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS

Ralf Weber <denic@eng.colt.net> Fri, 08 August 2008 07:08 UTC

From: Ralf Weber <denic@eng.colt.net>
To: bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>, Namedroppers <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:05:04 +0200
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Moin!

On Aug 7, 2008, at 15:42 , bert hubert wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 01:00:51PM +0200, Wouter Wijngaards wrote:
>> The best solution is of course DNSSEC. Crypto signatures instead of
>> randomisation games. Enable DNSSEC validation now.
>
> Not specifically aimed at you Wouter, but it appears the most vocal
> people
> in the DNS world are starting to suffer from "groupthink".
Ok so let me state my opinion as someone who argued against DNSSEC
until last year hopefully does not fall into the "groupthink" theory.

The reason it changed is that we, or to be more precise a customer was
hit by cache poisoning, and I had show up at there board and explain
it to them.

So there question was and I raise it to the WG here:
Is there a technology that can prove that the answer I am getting from
my DNS resolver is correct?
To my limited knowledge the only answer to the above question is:
Yes DNSSEC can do this.
But please tell me if you know another solution.

All other solutions proposed here so far only lower the chance of an
attacker to poison the cache. But still with a 0.0001% chance the
attacker might just have that lucky packet and poison your cache. So
why I think it is good to do countermeasures none of them can assure
me that I won't be hit by cache poisoning.

Also as stated elsewhere here, if someone today wanted to secure DNS
between him and his business partners he could do it today without
involving anyone else but him and the business partners (and this is
happening).

Now having played around with DNSSEC for a year now I also must say
that it does it's job, but with the current software and tools
available it's simply not ready for widespread adoption. But this is a
problem that can be solved, there is IMHO nothing wrong with the
protocol, it's the tools that don't offer a user friendly way to
deploy it.

So people should focus on getting the tools right.

So long
-Ralf
---
Ralf Weber
Platform Infrastructure Manager
Colt Telecom GmbH
Herriotstrasse 4
60528 Frankfurt
Germany
DDI: +49 (0)69 56606 2780 Internal OneDial: 8 491 2780
Fax: +49 (0)69 56606 6280
Email: Ralf.Weber@colt.net
http://www.colt.net/

Data | Voice | Managed Services

COLT Telecom GmbH, Herriotstraße 4, 60528 Frankfurt/Main, Deutschland *
Tel +49 (0)69 56606 0 * Fax +49 (0)69 56606 2222 *
Geschäftsführer: Albertus Marinus Oosterom (Vors.), Rita Thies *
Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main HRB 53898 * USt.-IdNr. DE 220 772 475