Please stop this thread (was: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS)

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> Fri, 08 August 2008 13:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:55:59 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Please stop this thread (was: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS)
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Dear colleagues,

Speaking as the one who has the current moderation token on this list,
I'd like to ask that we stop this thread.

Irrespective of what you personally think about DNSSEC, the liklihood
of its future deployment, its utility, the chances of it solving the
problems we have in the DNS, &c., the fact is that the WG adopted it,
and the specification is available.  Proposals for clarification,
discussion of what additional tools are needed (to the extent those
require protocol work), and even opposition to continued work in this
area are all on-topic for this working group.  Claims that DNSSEC will
never be deployed or that it is currently unworkable are _not_ on
topic here, because those claims have nothing to do with the protocol
itself.

Moreover, arguments that individuals are suffering from group-think
runs perilously close to the line of _ad hominem_ attack.  We have had
problems with that sort of discussion in the past, and I want to
remind everyone that we will not tolerate such attacks.  If you have a
problem with the protocol, feel free to discuss it here.  If you
instead have a problem just with what other people believe, then this
is not the right forum for your discussion.

Best regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Sullivan