Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS

Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> Thu, 07 August 2008 16:04 UTC

From: Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org>
To: bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>
cc: Namedroppers <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:00:05 +0000
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

> From: bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>
> And this can't be good - it is leading us to make statements which are
> patently untrue, like "turn on DNSSEC to be safe".

"turn on DNSSEC so that some day we can stop fighting endless brushfires."

> But if you care about DNSSEC, please stop pretending DNSSEC is ready to
> deploy and just waiting for people to get around to it.

dnssec (the protocol) is ready to deploy.  the usability of the tools is
a bit low at the moment but that's expected in early days.

> ("You mean this goes down if I don't re-sign in time? Wow!").

BIND 9.6 will have online re-signing.  presumably others will also do this.

> But no matter what I feel - please everybody take a minute to read the
> symptoms of groupthink, and wonder if we are still doing the best job we
> can to improve DNS in the real world.
>
> Because that is our goal. I hope.

i'd like to avoid re-debating the need for dnssec every few weeks.  it's
been a decade and a half.  these debates are just distractions.  anyone
whose vision or business plan or past representations to customers or code
base is just not adaptable to dnssec, please simply indulge those of us
who can see a need for it and who think we know how to make it happen.

believed to be clean.