Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS

Duane <duane@e164.org> Fri, 08 August 2008 05:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 15:16:54 +1000
From: Duane <duane@e164.org>
To: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
CC: Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org>, Olaf Kolkman <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>, bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>, Namedroppers <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: DNSSEC groupthink versus improving DNS
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Mark Andrews wrote:

> People setup caching servers everyday today.  Setting up one to
> also do validation is not that much extra.

Most people don't, the ones that do can probably do as you suggest, but
in reality the ones that would most benefit are those that rely on ISPs
or their routers/modems to do it all for them.

> And education is the solution to that.

That only works if people are interested in the learning you are trying
to impart to them. Most people will be complacent about such matters
until it really really matters to them personally. Such as loosing money
to an internet scam.

> People aren't as stupid as we often portray then as.  Give them
> good information and they will use it.  Do best practice from the
> start.

I'm not commenting on people's intelligence, I should have made my point
clearer I suppose, a general apathy plus some ignorance of the
mechanisms of how computers work and people don't care to learn beyond
that, until they have to and well by then it's usually too late the
horse has already bolted and they do the whole talk show scene trying to
get everyone to learn from their mistakes, which for the most part most
people don't.

--

Best regards,
 Duane