Re: Context specific semantics was Re: uncooperative DNSBLs, was several messages

John L <johnl@iecc.com> Fri, 14 November 2008 18:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:56:20 +0000
From: John L <johnl@iecc.com>
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Context specific semantics was Re: uncooperative DNSBLs, was several messages
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

>>> context for the RRTYPE based on the zone of the query, which is not
>>> what the DNS currently uses for disambiguating the types of
>>> requests/responses.
>>
>> Didn't that plan go out the window in 1996 with RFC 2052?
>
> Sorry, what about SRV made RRTYPE not significant?  Sorry
> to be dense, but I don't understand your point here.

A SRV record with _tcp in its name means something different from a SRV
query with _udp in its name.  I suppose you could argue that's different
because _names are special, but the semantics are definitely in the name,
not just in the RR.

> I believe Andrew and Olafur quite sensibly proposed that this change
> go forward with a transition to allow for increasing numbers of v6
> addresses.

You can do that if you want, but since there is no realistic scenario in
which MTAs will handle v6 DNSBLs differently from v4 DNSBLs, I don't see
the point in allocating an RR that will not in practice be used.

> The real damage might well occur when it leaks out of DNSBLs into the
> next bright spark for web-based reputation or something similar.

I fear it is about 15 years too late to fight that battle.  There are
already domain based DNSxLs, and they encode their stuff into A records.

R's,
John