Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> Mon, 24 March 2008 21:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:46:47 -0700
From: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis
To: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
Cc: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>, John Leslie <john@jlc.net>, ietf list <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> >>   Agreed.

> >>   It might, however, be best to simply document the ambiguity. I
> >> suspect that implementation reports would show some implementations
> >> querying for both AAAA and A RRs, while others query only for A
> >> RRs. I am not convinced that 2821bis _should_ try to resolve this.
> >
> > I don't think we have a choice. it is obvious that this ambiguity
> > can lead to interoperability problems, and that means this has to be
> > resolved if the document is to obtain draft standard status.

> Anyone who relies upon just publishing AAAA records to enable the
> discovery of their receiving MTAs are unlikely to find this to be
> widely interoperable.  Until such time that A records for discovery
> have been deprecated, the A record method of discovery or email-
> address domain validation continues to be used.  MX records have been
> in use for a period long enough to safely rule out new explicitly
> "implied" MX records.  The choice seems rather clear, especially in
> the face of undesired traffic created by implied use of address
> records.  Please don't add AAAA or any future address record to a list
> of records likely to be abused by spammers.

I'm afraid this is nothing but a strawman. Nowhere did I say _how_ the
ambiguity should be resolved, only that it needs to be resolved one way
or the other. If the consensus is that better interoperability can be
had by banning bare AAAA records that's perfectly fine with me. What is not
fine is saying "maybe bare AAAA works, maybe it doesn't, good luck and
be happy". That's what I understood was being advocated and why I jumped
into this now.

> >>   Indeed, that seems likely (though not demonstrated).
> >
> >>   But regardeless, we're on shaky ground if we try to force either
> >> kind of implementation to change. May I suggest a different
> >> starting point:
> >
> > On the contrary, it is expected that options can be eliminated from
> > documents moving to draft, especially if in doing so an
> > interoperability problem is removed.

> Clarity can be established and interoperability _improved_ by limiting
> discovery to just A and MX records.  Perhaps a note might be included
> that at some point in the future MX records may become required.

Again, I have no problem with this approach if that's what the consensus is.

> >>   I think there's very strong consensus that the presence of an MX
> >> RR demonstrates the intention to receive email addressed to the
> >> domain in question. I don't think there's any consensus that the
> >> presence of an AAAA or A RR demonstrates such an intent.
> >
> > Perhaps, but the fact remains that MX-less configurations are
> > currently legal and in use.

> While there are some that use A records, which remains largely due to
> prior practices, these prior practices did _not_ include the use of
> AAAA records.

Which is really irrelevant since the point I was addressing is the idea of
banning the bare A practice oing forward.

> >>   There is, however, considerable history that the presence of an
> >> address RR _in_combination_with_ a process listening on port 25 of
> >> the IP address in question indicates a willingness to receive email
> >> for a domain identical to the domain of that address RR.

> To avoid ambiguity, A and not AAAA records would be an accurate
> statement of prior practices.

Agreed.

> > OK...
> >
> >>   Whether or not we have any consensus that this historical
> >> practice should be deprecated (I would vote YES!), rfc2821-bis is
> >> not, IMHO, the right place to deprecate it.
> >
> > On this we agree. We haven't gone through any sort of consensus
> > process on this and since there is no justification for deprecating
> > use of A-record-only configurations as part of a move to draft this
> > cannot be done at time.

> Agreed, but making assurances regarding use of AAAA records for the
> purpose of discovery is ill advised, to say the least.

> >>   (If I may digress a bit, let me explain that this implied-MX rule
> >> is a real pain to me as an ISP, in that we maintain a SMTP server
> >> on the same IP address as a number of virtual web services; and the
> >> implied-MX rule brings us rather significant spam traffic that I'd
> >> _much_ rather be sending to a different IP address than the web-
> >> server for the domain in question.)

> As more SMTP domains attempt to publish policies of various sorts,
> validation of the domain will also likely depend upon finding
> requisite discovery records.  Adding AAAA and all future address
> records to a list of SMTP discovery records fails miserably at taking
> advantage of the MX record replacing the function of the generic A
> record.

Another point in favor of not allowing bare AAAA records for mail routing.

> >>   Getting back to my point, what would be wrong with changing this
> >> language in Section 5.1 to document the ambiguity instead of trying
> >> (probably unsuccessfully) to prescibe a single way of resolving it?
> >
> > See above. This would be fine if the document were intended for
> > proposed but it is not. I suppose we could ask for an exception to
> > be made but frankly I see no grounds for granting one.

> To say that AAAA records can be used for discovery would be equally
> wrong from an interoperability standpoint.  The only valid solution
> would be to indicate that AAAA records as a discovery mechanism may
> not be supported and should not be used for this purpose.  Use MX
> records instead.

Which is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. The question is whether
there's a consensus to resolve the ambiguity in this fashion.

				Ned