RE: [Ltru] Re: Punjabi

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Sat, 17 March 2007 06:34 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:34:16 -0700
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: Punjabi
References: <E1HRsNL-0001ob-5h@megatron.ietf.org> <003501c76756$f2213760$6401a8c0@DGBP7M81> <30b660a20703161305h1f007acalb7ecf2c45224b4da@mail.gmail.com> <20070316210509.GF17950@mercury.ccil.org> <30b660a20703161537q77fcf86y9c6488e0eb0603b@mail.gmail.com> <45FB2259.7050202@yahoo-inc.com> <30b660a20703161617u85dbfe1r44ddc29fcfcf1a6d@mail.gmail.com> <45FB2C4E.9090303@yahoo-inc.com> <30b660a20703161805v631af4d4p79936e0381c547a9@mail.gmail.com>
acceptlanguage: en-US

Perhaps it would help not to consider all macrolanguage (or putative macrolanguages - keep in mind "lah" still needs to be evaluated) as comparable cases. There's a big difference between "lah" and "zh": the former is rare in existing data (certain libraries perhaps being exceptional), while the latter is *very* common. The extlang construct was suggested with cases like the latter in mind, not the former.

Peter