Re: [Netconf] Draft Charter Proposal for NETCONF WG

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Tue, 28 February 2017 13:37 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>, Mehmet Ersue <mersue@gmail.com>, 'Netconf' <netconf@ietf.org>, 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:37:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [Netconf] Draft Charter Proposal for NETCONF WG

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> writes:

> 7 is the monster, likely to take years rather than months and I think
> likely to create confusion, perhaps chaos.
>
> I think the rational approach would be to create 7950bis first, removing
> the NETCONF material into a separate I-D alongside 7950bis, and then
> merging that into 6241bis if it still seems sensible.  Taking the 60+
> bits and pieces out of 7950 is not too bad, what is left still makes
> sense.

Right, we need to think hard about a sensible separation of
concerns and remove, as much as possible, circular dependencies of
NETCONF and NETMOD documents.

> Creating a 6241bis that overlaps masses of bits and pieces of 7950 -
> well, chaos is my expectation.  What use is an XML Example without the
> YANG that it is an example of and what sense does that YANG snippet make
> in isolation?  Just how much do we put into 6241bis?

Yes, I believe there is now no point to pretend that NETCONF is independent
of YANG. In fact, some NETCONF operations are ill-defined without the
additional YANG semantics such as list keys.

> Even updating 7950 I would expect to be resisted given how long it took
> to appear but for me, it is the only logical first step and not that
> difficult one, just tedious to proof-read.

I agree.

Lada