Re: [Netconf] Draft Charter Proposal for NETCONF WG

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Thu, 02 March 2017 12:14 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:14:32 +0100
Cc: Netconf <netconf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] Draft Charter Proposal for NETCONF WG

Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 4:01 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> wrote:
>

>> > On 1 Mar 2017, at 10:58, t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> wrote:

As I see it, schema mount is primarily intended as another tool for
constructing the overall data model from YANG modules, along with
augments and YANG library.

> Instead of keeping the protocol fixed and playing tricks with the data tree,
> it might be better to keep the current YANG we have, and enhance
> the protocols in order to access virtual servers from the 'real'
> server.

This sounds more like data mount, not schema mount. Actually, I'd argue
that virtual servers, and in general the "inline" method in the
schema-mount draft, are all about instance data, a part of which happens
to be a new instance of YANG library.

Lada