Re: [rtcweb] Agenda time request for draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

Xavier Marjou <xavier.marjou@gmail.com> Wed, 13 March 2013 14:43 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=eJRoZNf6HQaTCtta3dCg5lJlFPlySNBU2n9KjGnbLaE=; b=vAT9d3XyGx0K09z+DWNcfyEdjQEIFGIBep2R49qIOii4Vt9LfBTuK9IC7k7q5GpLN1 7tJhgntoEYXulW9jDTmUbxrzeC1/s/CR0VxmHDSd0c9tKG0HN/DlVurr+PAHmne1VbJw qsklIBqnmcOSkBXXWcnJw/hP1Ehqed4Rtn0IGd5Weq2XbaPi/3pu4E7lZ702SAnlEQIB iLU724PjeGoMdeFT0xVTI3z/S35EJ6ZzQIH+zwNu4HUF8KwjtBd6dftdRwLeepaMcuOO W63LBNhRVeSSG5aEQ1Yq8YzBFj7xVzxlzEpstUXma56m5PTWlVdKErdhaxhkKhS6X01b /F8g==
draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>wrote:

>  High level thoughts from a browser implementor:
>
> - The first target of WebRTC is the browser to browser case. These codecs
> do not add any capability to the browser to browser case, because OPUS is
> available.

I agree with that browser to browser communication within a given calling
service is the first target of most players. However, there's the need to
have options for interworking with "legacy" VoIP equipments for players who
also want to open WebRTC communications towards "legacy" devices. Our draft
shows that OPUS and G.711 are really not sufficient for that.

> - In the most common browser distribution models, it is an advantage to
> include at least a fallback version of all available features in the
> binary, so that the set of features available to the user is constant. This
> means that the browser either incurs licensing costs or support costs (to
> support the variability of user scenarios).
>
> - The inclusion of royalty-required codecs severely crimps the
> distribution models available for browsers, which makes it even harder for
> new browsers to enter the market than it already is, and the WG charter we
> agreed on says that we "prefer non-encumbered codecs".

Yes, we understand that, and we think the text we propose tries to motivate
all players of the WebRTC ecosystem to open their technologies. I think our
text is really not such a big constraint as I read it as a conditional
statement like "if some conditions are met regarding AMR, or AMR-WB or
G.722, then the browser offers the possibility to use this codec". All
conditions may not be met today for the browser implementor, perhaps only
tomorrow, but at least writing down will provide incentives for all players
to make efforts and go in that direction.