Re: [Softwires] I-D Action: draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6-06.txt

Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org> Tue, 11 February 2014 10:28 UTC

From: Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:28:18 +0100
To: Softwires WG <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] I-D Action: draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6-06.txt

a few initial comments:

s/connectivity services/connectivity/
s/OPTION_SW46_LW/OPTION_S46_CONT_LW/

section 5.1
   An IPv6 address from an assigned prefix is also required for the lwB4
   to use as the encapsulation source address for the softwire.  In
   order to enable end-to-end provisioning, the IPv6 address is
   constructed by taking a /64 prefix assigned to the WAN interface and
   suffixing 64-bits for the interface identifier.  As there may be
   multiple WAN prefixes, of which only one can be used for lw4o6, the
   CPE is provisioned with the logic to select the correct one.  The /
   128 prefix is then constructed as follows:

that seems awfully hand-wavy?
how is the CPE supposed to pick which prefix to use? does it have to be from the WAN interface?
could it be from the PD block as well?

reference MAP for the interface-id? (or perhaps just state that it is the same)
define PSID somewhere? (reference MAP document)?

why SHOULD the a-bits be 0? isn't that an operational choice?

I really don't think overriding the ICMP type 1 code 5 is appropriate to signal "no binding".
do you think the BR reachability check from RFC5969 could be adopted instead?

should you say something about using anycast addresses for the AFTR?

a general comment. we're going to have quite a bit of redundant text between the MAP documents and the LW46 document, e.g. ICMP handling, fragmentation. I don't have a big problem with that as such, but should ensure that the text isn't conflicting at least.

cheers,
Ole