Re: [Softwires] I-D Action: draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6-06.txt

<ian.farrer@telekom.de> Fri, 14 February 2014 19:25 UTC

From: ian.farrer@telekom.de
To: wdec.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 20:24:48 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: softwires@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] I-D Action: draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6-06.txt

Hi Woj,

Thanks for the review. Inline are some comments specifically related to your points on the new text that's been added since WGLC.

Cheers,
Ian

Detailed comments:

* Section 5.1 WAN prefix selection and address forming - as per Ole's comment. This is indeed hand wavy in the current draft (how to select the WAN?)

[ian] I've updated with the wording that I proposed to Ole.
The CPE WAN interface is a fairly well used term in a number of other RFCs. Both RFC6333 and RFC7084 use the term (and have implementations based on them) without defining how the CPE has identified it. Why does that need to be specifically defined here?

* Processing of IPv4 fragments Section 5.2. Text " The lwB4 MAY require that the UDP, TCP, or ICMP header be completely contained within the fragment that contains fragment offset equal to zero."
What does that mean? Is it trying to say that the IPv4 MTU > 40?

[ian] The text is taken directly from RFC6146. I guess that doesn't specify is as a defined MTU size of > 40 bytes (or anything else) as the IPv4 header could feasibly be longer than 20 bytes if options were included in it, so the fragmented L4 header problem could still exist.

Section 5.2: "

For incoming packets carrying TCP or UDP IPv4 fragments with a non-

   zero checksum, after de-capsulation, the lwB4 MAY elect to queue the

   fragments as they arrive and perform NAPT44 on all fragments at the

   same time"

?? Queue based on what? Presumably the fragment identifier field, and if so then that is no different to 2473.

[ian] Updated the text to note that.

* Section 5.2: Text:

For incoming de-capsulated IPv4 packets carrying UDP packets with a

   zero checksum, if the lwB4 has enough resources, the lwB4 MUST

   reassemble the packets and MUST calculate the checksum.  If the lwB4

   does not have enough resources, then it MUST silently discard the

   packets.
Wouldn't it be easier to say that the lwb4 MAY reassemble the packet and recalculate the checksum? It's clearly not a MUST...

[ian] Why is it not a MUST? If one condition is met you MUST do this, if a different condition is met, you MUST do that. A MAY would make re-assembly of the packets optional, meaning that an implementation could not implement support for fragment reassembly at all and still say that it is compliant with the spec.

Cheers,
Wojciech