Re: [vwrap] Statements of Consensus. Flexibity First.

"Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)" <mike.dickson@hp.com> Wed, 30 March 2011 14:26 UTC

From: "Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)" <mike.dickson@hp.com>
To: Boroondas Gupte <sllists@boroon.dasgupta.ch>, "vwrap@ietf.org" <vwrap@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:27:27 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [vwrap] Statements of Consensus. Flexibity First.

On 03/30/2011 03:14 AM, Carlo Wood wrote:
> Perhaps we should also start a wiki page (it's nice
> to have a stable url that one can refer to, which still
> is editable; that give me at least a feeling of progress),
> about statements that we reached consensus over.

We don't need to make a process that forces agreement under a set of terms.  That's not how the IETF
works.  We need consensus and documents.  As a contributor I'll choose to agree or disagree based on
the topic.  And in some cases I'm not sure I'd choose flexibility over stability, etc.

It seems to me we've sorted drifted to a point we're there are 2 camps and a proposal was made for how to
deal with it.  There are those that want to work on service level interop.  And others want to define the
whole concept of virtual world interop. IMO we need to either agree that seperation exists and arrange the
docs so it describes the 2 work streams or agree that we can't agree and disband.  The service level interop.
is a subset of the other and given our track record I prefer to walk rather than run.  And I don't buy the "evil
corporate interests" argument.  Ideally if  we do this right there *should* be some participation from business
interests that are looking at the space.

So in summary, no, I'm not going to agree to a fixed process that favours flexibility.  The IETF already has
a process for how this stuff gets worked.   And we need to decide what we're working on and move on. I
think there's room for 2 work streams here and that personally would be my vote.  I'll put my energy into
service level interop personally.

Mike (speaking as me and not for HP)