Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org> Wed, 29 September 2021 22:29 UTC

From: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:28:54 +1300
Cc: "STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7652@att.com>, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org>, Working Chairs <wgchairs@ietf.org>, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
References: <f22d22ea-80da-e595-d91f-c577461766a3@huitema.net> <44B61547-1B28-4D1C-88C1-4AD7BA7F9639@lear.ch> <69E7C755-D09C-447B-B327-4F13C19A3EED@eggert.org> <475d7515-f71a-c3f0-e455-03336226cc47@lear.ch> <04F3603A-514B-49DF-81C5-36023CBBB69E@eggert.org> <CALaySJLseu4Ci_=-OZDN1NKLimnfLSjnPFyv2bwOnOxL6q4RGg@mail.gmail.com> <29d2a637-f629-b494-1cb5-75510e6149dc@isode.com> <DM6PR02MB6924C37148A63E27218142B3C3A99@DM6PR02MB6924.namprd02.prod.outlook.com> <7c882dc9-6cce-d3dc-f098-71049da44c1a@gmail.com>

>>> I have a slight problem with this proposal because if it is implemented
>>> it would not be possible to find last call announcements by draft name.
>>> I think this is a rather important feature when searching archive.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this problem.
>>
>> I thought we were discussing changes to ietf-announce and not last-call. All these emails already exist on the last-call list and don't need to be repeated in their entirety on ietf-announce. A summary email to ietf-announce should be sufficient. Anybody wanting to subscribe to last-call has the ability to do so.
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't compute. If someone sees the Last Call announcement on announce @ietf, they can simply reply and it will go where it needs to go. The whole point of last calls is they go to *everybody* so that *anybody* can reply. This is why I believe that Last Calls are possibly the most important content on announce@ and should definitely not be dropped.

I don’t mean to pick on you, but your use of the word "everybody" highlights what I see as  two huge misconceptions that are affecting this discussion.

The first is the misconception that ietf-announce reaches, approximately reaches, or could theoretically reach the entire IETF community.  It currently reaches a small fraction of the community (somewhere between 5-10% depending on how we define the community) and all the evidence is that it will never reach even 25% because they don’t want all those emails.

The second is the misconception of just how much we can create an engaged community by pushing messages at them.  The experience from every organisation I have ever seen try this is that it’s a Pareto distribution and if you want a list that reaches everybody then it must receive virtually no messages at all otherwise people unsubscribe in such numbers that it rapidly drops below any usable approximation of everybody.

So far, I’ve heard the following broad reasons for not breaking up ietf-announce into multiple lists:

a) a detrimental effect on the process of subscribing to and managing subscription to multiple lists
b) a detrimental effect on reading/searching/finding email once those messages have been received
c) a detrimental effect on understanding what message is important and what is not and making sure nothing important is missed
d) a view that separate lists reduces overall engagement
e) a view that separate lists reduce cross-area discussion

I understand a) and c) - we need a much better interface for managing subscriptions to 100+ lists that also helps us understand the subject matter, volume and perceived importance of any list as well as what other lists are related.

For b), d) and e), while list organisation plays a part, in most practical situations there are other factors that are much more important.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director