Re: [113attendees] IETF 113 Update: 2022-02-10

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 18 February 2022 17:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:51:50 +0100
To: 113attendees@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [113attendees] IETF 113 Update: 2022-02-10

Thanks for the note about the R script.

I would like to say a few things about it, if permitted on this list.

I think you mean the R mathematics package, and not the R like in R_0 of
epidemics.  I think I saw R on my windows.

For the R mathematics package, I wonder whether they have a freely
available function to interpolate very simply, maybe too naïvely, but
still a valuable try when nothing else might be available.

This could be used to predict the next peak of a wave.

For example, given the sequence of distances between Austrian peaks 8,
4, 8, 3 (from outbreak.info), what is the next distance until the next peak?

That potential R interpolation function, applied to that Austrian data,
could be valuable help in predicting more precisely than the current
predictions that can be visible at
https://www.sozialministerium.at/Informationen-zum-Coronavirus/COVID-Prognose-Konsortium-2022.html#februar-2022

The ICU Intensivpflege graph gives today a prognosis for March 2nd, as
illustrated by the small gray areas at the right of the graph:
Kapazitätsvorschau Intensivpflege - 15.02.2022

But a prediction by applying an R interpolation function on the sequence
8,4,8,3 would give a prediction of when the next peak would appear in
the next several months.

Probably this would predict that the next peak would be in 7 months time
(I dont know?), which means peak in August 2022.  August is much far
away than March.

This kind of prognosis does not tell the details of the wave shape, but
just its peak.  But it is known that these are waves, not arbitrary shapes.

Alex