Re: [113attendees] IETF 113 Update: 2022-02-10

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <dns-admin@na-nic.com.na> Fri, 18 February 2022 06:41 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 08:41:11 +0200
Cc: dns-admin@na-nic.com.na
To: 113attendees@ietf.org
From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <dns-admin@na-nic.com.na>
Subject: Re: [113attendees] IETF 113 Update: 2022-02-10

Jay,

Your approach is the correct one from a medical perspective and the
same I am taking.

I took the additional step of separating my flight to Europe from the
flight (ticket) to Vienna, the former with Ethiopian Airlines who are
very experienced with Covid and have given us no trouble when we had to
reschedule some visitors doe to Omicron.  The latter is with Austrian
Airlines and so cheap that if the meeting was cancelled and the airline
were to prove difficult (which I doubt) I could absorb the loss.

That said, one must indeed differentiate between the pure transmission
rate which in Austria is quite, and in Namibia and New Zealand for
example is low (but rising in the latter), the hospital utilization rate,
the ICU utilization rate and of course the death rate.

The death rate in countries with developed health care systems is
fortunately quite low due to a multitude of factors including the
experience we have gained over the last two years, and easy accessibility
to care.

The rolling 7 day (new infection) incidence averaged per 100000 is the
traditional way of looking at, and comparing it.  The Johns Hopkins
University publishes a continuously updated data set which is widely used
and I have a little R script which produces the enclosed images (for
some countries I am interested in).

For planning purposes the hospital utilization and ICU rates are better
figures and this is what is now being used more commonly like in
Austria.

In addition there is indeed the pressure by the populace who are fed up
with the intrusions into what they perceive as personal freedom and who
believe their health care systems can take care of them if they get it,
in particular vaccination breakthroughs which are perceived as usually
being mild.

I can understand to a (very) small extend the former, but most certainly
do not agree with it, and leave aside whether the latter is true
(probably) and at what cost.

Now, what does that mean for travelers?

There still is high transmission in Austria, so the risk of contracting
Covid is a reality.

That is what needs to be considered when traveling back to a country
where health care is less developed/available.  Never mind that the
airlines may deny boarding of infected passengers, so one should cater
for that, as well.

I, myself, will continue to abide strictly by masking, disinfection, and
social distancing.  And I assume/propose that the ground rules of the
meeting reflect that, such as checker board seating, temperature taking
at the entrance and requiring the (correct) wearing of masks.

I, myself, will not do daily testing, unless of course asked to do so by
the organizers, but as I want to see how the Everybody Gargles process
works (it is free, after all), I'll do it on the day of arrival and
(perhaps) the morning of departure.

greetings, el

--
Dr Eberhard W Lisse