Re: [antitrust-policy] back to what problem are we trying to solve

"George Willingmyre" <gtw@gtwassociates.com> Sat, 21 January 2012 17:44 UTC

From: George Willingmyre <gtw@gtwassociates.com>
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, antitrust-policy@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:44:25 -0500
Cc: david.black@emc.com
Subject: Re: [antitrust-policy] back to what problem are we trying to solve

John, When we began discussing this late last year, I  was also asking what
problem we were aiming at.

I  have strived to reconstruct the answer from last December  below

>From the point of view of what was the closest thing to an example of a real
problem  from outside of IETF  there is a current lawsuit where it is
alleged two standards developing organisations have failed to " monitor and
enforce the SSO Rules  ...  "  and more see below.  As best I know this
litigation is on going so there are no conclusions. It seems to me that
this    example  points to  the importance of  participants  following
procedures of the standards  organizations.   I leave for discussion how
best to address this sort of problem if it exists  in IETF.

  Here is the trail

> From: IETF Chair [chair@ietf.org]
>
> The IETF legal counsel and insurance agent suggest that the IETF ought
> to have an antitrust policy.  To address this need, a lawyer is
> needed

And then to get a little more targeted on a specific  exact problem  Russ
elaborated: