Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?

"Kenneth Porter" <shiva@well.com> Wed, 09 May 2001 16:19 UTC

From: Kenneth Porter <shiva@well.com>
To: "dnsop@cafax.se" <dnsop@cafax.se>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 07:30:55 -0700
Subject: Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se

On Wed, 09 May 2001 18:51:15 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

>The only people this doesn't work with are a few DNS broker types who
>somehow have formed the opinion that the delegation should happen first,
>and that after it happens, then they will set up their servers to handle
>the zone.   Those I treat as being the loony fringe, and they do things
>my way, or they don't get delegations...

I'm struggling with two large ISP's to get my reverse delegation for my
dedicated access set up (one's done) and my biggest problem is finding
information or contacts so that I can get my zone set up in advance. I
end up doing it (at best) in parallel with the delegation because it's
so hard to find out what's needed up front. With one ISP, I was emailed
an HTML FAQ that should have been on their web site, and I only figured
out who to email by asking in their newsgroups.

So if you're going to establish this kind of requirement, *please* make
your requirements readily available and findable for us guys in the
trenches.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]