Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?

Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> Wed, 09 May 2001 18:34 UTC

From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
To: Cathy Murphy <cathym@arin.net>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 01:12:09 +0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se

    Date:        Wed, 9 May 2001 13:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        Cathy Murphy <cathym@arin.net>

  | Yes, I understand what a glue record is, but I don't see the likelihood of
  | ICANN/IANA creating nameservers in the in-addr.arpa domain.

ICANN/IANA has nothing at all to do with it.   If you're delegating
a domain to someone, they can ask for the nameservers to be anywhere
within the domain tree.   That includes inside their in-addr.arpa
tree if they want that.  As long as the name they specify has a A
record, and is running servers for the zone in question, and the owner
of the zone wants that server, then there should be no other issues
(the owner of the server has already demonstrated willingness by
setting up their server to handle the zone).

  | At least, to date, it has not happened that I am aware.

No, most people don't put A records in their in-addr.arpa domains, and
without that they can't have nameservers there either.   But there's
absolutely nothing to prevent it.   It certainly isn't waiting on any
IANA action - just someone who feels inclined to be different (and now
it has been discussed here, that might just happen tomorrow...)

  | Theoretically possible? Yes. Rare? That implies that it happens.
  | In the meantime, I was wondering what a realistic example would be. [Not
  | trying to be argumentative, just covering the bases.]

If you like, I'll get one of my ARIN handled in-addr.arpa domains
re-delegated to servers inside the domain, if you want to check whether
your procedures will handle this, and just to prove that it isn't
never done at all...

kre