Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?

Mark.Andrews@nominum.com Thu, 10 May 2001 01:54 UTC

To: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
Subject: Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:25:26 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, James Raftery wrote:
>
> > And for IE too. An authoritative nameserver is authoritative for a
> > finite set of zones. There is no reason to presume the auth. server's
> > own A RR is in one of the zones it's serving.
>
> Right.  Now that we've gotten that out of the way, can anyone suggest a
> *reliable* test for verifying that a nameserver is responding ( which is
> seperate from verifying that a nameserver is authoritatively serving a
> given zone )

	Send it a non-recursive query.  A nameserver should always
	answer even if it is just a header containing refused,
	servfail or notimp.

	With this in mind the status opcode would be a good one to
	use.  It should always come back notimp/refused.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com