Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?

Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se> Fri, 11 May 2001 07:36 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:11:42 +0200
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
To: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Bruce Campbell wrote:

> ( Personal opinion is that is *should* know about itself, as most of the
>   cases we've seen where a nameserver doesn't know about itself have been
>   broken in other ways )

My experience is that there is no connection between having nameservers
designed not to know about its own name and broken configuration. It is
mostly big ISP's that have several nameservers for customers, of which
maybe some is also nameserver for their own domain. Telia is a big ISP in
Sweden. One of their domains are telia.com. They have several nameservers
under telia.com, of which dns3.telia.com, dns4.telia.com, dns5.telia.com
and others are not authoritative for telia.com. There are never any
problem with that design.

In our test of delegation we require that we can get an authoritative
answer of the request for an A record of the nameserver name. If the
resolver happens to give such an answer we accept that, or we explicitly
query the nameservers of the name.

Mats

Mats Dufberg                                     +46-8-545 857 06
dufberg@nic-se.se                           fax: +46-8-545 857 29