Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?

"Weiming Wang" <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn> Mon, 18 October 2004 14:25 UTC

From: Weiming Wang <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn>
To: hadi@znyx.com
Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:20:28 +0800
Cc: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com, forces-protocol@ietf.org, "Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@MEGISTO.com>, "Steven Blake (petri-meat)" <slblake@petri-meat.com>, zsolt@nc.rr.com, Alan DeKok <alan.dekok@idt.com>, Ellen M Deleganes <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com>, "Yang, Lily L" <lily.l.yang@intel.com>
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jamal,

main hdr (eg type = config)

     +--- T = LFBselect
     |        |
     |        +-- LFBCLASSID = target LFB class
     |        |
     |        +-- LFBInstance = target LFB instance

[Weiming] The more I'm thinking, the more I see the value to address multipul
LFB instances here (I can now live with single LFB class). To speak of this, I
have an aspire  to show my yesterday experience with my GRMP test platform
(sorry I have to mention it). As you know, GRMP  does not support multipul LFB
instance addressing.  Yesterday, we had to prepare a show of the platform to
guests from our sponsors. Before the show, we spent near one hour to operate on
the menu to construct a scenario, in which there were 5 output port, 5
associated schedulers (LFBs), and several other LFBs that have many instances.
unfortunately, we faced a problem with one of the machine. Then we had to do it
again.  At that time, I had a VERY VERY strong desire that batch configuration
based on multipul LFB isntance addressing can be used.

I can see very simple scheme to include multipul instances here (by ranging, or
by enum, or by both). Definitely, I believe this will greatly improve our
protocol.

I sincerely hope this be considered seriously by gentlemen.

Best regards,
Weiming

     |        |
     |        |
     |        +-- T = operation { ADD, DEL, GET, etc}
     |        |   |
     |        |   +--  // one or more path targets
     |        |        // under discussion
     |        |
     |        +-- T = operation { ADD, DEL, GET, etc}
     |        |   |
     |        |   +--  // one or more path targets
     |        |        // under discussion
     |        +-- T = operation { ADD, DEL, GET, etc}
     |        |   +--  // one or more path targets
     |        |        // under discussion

In other words: Very similar to the way we have it already except
the naming has changed and we can target multiple
operations and multiple paths in an LFB instance