Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?

"Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@MEGISTO.com> Wed, 20 October 2004 12:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:08:57 -0400
To: "Wang,Weiming" <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn>, hadi@znyx.com
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@MEGISTO.com>
Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?
Cc: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com, "Steven Blake (petri-meat)" <slblake@petri-meat.com>, forces-protocol@ietf.org, zsolt@nc.rr.com, Alan DeKok <alan.dekok@idt.com>, Ellen M Deleganes <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com>, "Yang, Lily L" <lily.l.yang@intel.com>
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

Allow me to be a bit pedantic and repetitive please, because apparently my
main point got lost.

Even when there are large numbers of LFB instances of a given class in an
FE that need to be set, I have trouble envisioning that they will need to
be set to the identical values.  Some of the values will be the same.  But
some will be different.
If at least one value differs, then you need an operation directed at each
individual LFB Instance.  If this is infeasible, then we have a basic
problem that multicast at this level will not help.  If this is feasible,
then multicast at this level seems a refinement that can wait until we know
if we need it.

Yours,
Joel

PS: We are talking here about multicasting to LFB instances within an
FE.  Although I am still doubtful about the multi-FE case, I can understand
that rather better.